Class 3. Enameling steel mesh
$200, discounted for multiple classes
August 19-20, 2023
Day 1: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. PDT—Instruction, demos, discussion and hands-on work. Day 2: 3-4 p.m. PDT—Troubleshooting, sharing work and discussion.
You will learn to:
- Incorporate enamel in design. Using enameling to enhance design of mesh pieces.
- Prepare. Preparing the steel mesh and liquid form enamels.
- Apply enamel to mesh. Application methods. Drying the enamel.
- Fire the enamel. Torch and kiln firing.
- Layer enameled mesh. Create added interest by layering enameled steel mesh.
- Mount enameled mesh. Combining it with sheet, wire and perforated steel sheet.
- Sealing it. Applying a wax sealer.
- 3 pieces of woven steel mesh 6” x 12”
- 1 piece of 20g steel sheet 6” x 12”
- Liquid form brushable opaque enamels—two or three colors—Thompson Enamel or Rio Grande (Note that a Ground Coat is not required)
- Paint brushes—two or three inexpensive smallish paint brushes from Michaels or any art supply store
- Particulate mask
- Small containers to mix liquid enamels
- Distilled water
- Heat gun or hair dryer--Amazon or hardware store
- Enameling trivet—Thompson Enamel
- Either gun bluing Oxpho Blue Brownells or Presto-black PC9 Sculpt Nouveau
- Your choice of clear Metal Wax from Sculpt NouveauOR Bowling Alley Wax from Amazon
- Optional but helpful
- Enameling kiln—enclosed kiln designed for enameling. Available from many different vendors. Manufacturers include Paragon, Vcella and Amaco.
- Firing fork—Thompson Enamel or Rio Grande
Basic Tools & Supplies
For supplies, materials and tools that you will need to provide for all classes, please refer to the basic list for tools and supplies needed for working with steel in the pdf below. As with the list of class-specific supplies (above), many of these are items that you may have on hand. Note that the sources shown are merely examples. Many different vendors can be sourced for these products.Basic Tools and Supplies for Working with Steel »
Cost savings if multiple classes are chosen: Basic Class only: $200 (+ $40 kit) =$240 Basic Class plus one other class = $360 (+ $80 for two kits) =$440 All three classes = $480 (+ $120 for three kits) = $600