Perforated Perfection: Creating Jewelry from Perforated Steel and Wire
$125, discounted for multiple classes
July 22-23, 2023
Day 1 Workshop 10 am-12 pm Pacific Time
Day 2 Open Studio 3 pm Pacific Time
You will learn to:
- Understand the fundamentals of sourcing and ordering perforated steel sheet
- Design pieces of jewelry that maximize the perforated steel patterns
- Cut, form and soldering it
- Create bezels, bails and frames with perforated steel
- Explore different design possibilities with perforated steel
- Combine different perforated steel patterns
- Create basic dimensional forms with perforated steel
- Finish edges, ends, seams and corners
- Combine wire with perforated steel
- Fuse non-ferrous metals to perforated steel and wire
- Apply a heat patina to create a range of different colors including inky black
- Seal your jewelry using a high-grade wax
- 4 pieces of perforated steel sheet in various patterns 5" x 8" 20-22g
- 2 pieces of steel sheet 5" x 8" 20 g
- Black annealed wire 10g 12"
- Black annealed wire 16g 24"
- Sample of metal wax for sealing
- Handouts (Patterns for two class projects, course presentation handouts, and source sheets for purchasing materials and supplies)
- Gold wire. Minimum 1” of 14g gold wire (either 14k, 18k or 20k) Rio Grande
- Optional but helpful: Flexshaft and the burs or wheels that you like to use (3M radial disc wheels are particularly good for steel).
Basic Tools & Supplies
For supplies, materials and tools that you will need to provide for all classes, please refer to the basic list for tools and supplies needed for working with steel in the pdf below. As with the list of class-specific supplies (above), many of these are items that you may have on hand. Note that the sources shown are merely examples. Many different vendors can be sourced for these products.Basic Tools and Supplies for Working with Steel »
All classes are $125 each. If you sign up for two classes, each class is $110, and for three or more classes, $100. The cost of a kit, if any, will be additional. Discounts for multiple classes will be applied at checkout.